Junior Leaders engages a child’s sense of curiosity. Rooted in a commitment to family and community, Junior Leaders embraces the natural energy that comes with being a kid. The curriculum is designed to be fun while providing teachable moments. Each child is encouraged to participate in activities that help them learn self-control and how to interact with their peers with optimism, patience and enthusiasm.
Junior Leaders is broken into 2 smaller groups by age: 3-5 grades and 6-7 grades. Below is an overview of the programming for each year.
Grades 3, 4 & 5
• Culture: Participants learn what it means to be part of a community; meeting and learning about their peers, and understanding how to treat others.
• Confidence: Learning to trust themselves and others is a key part of building confidence; they practice skills that focus on trust, expressing their feelings and being themselves.
• Communication: The importance of participation, communicating effectively with peers, and the basics of problem solving are addressed. 5th graders serve as mentors to 3rd graders and begin understanding the responsibility that comes with being a role model.
Grades 6 & 7
• Choices: Understanding emotions, overcoming pressures and working together are the themes of the last two years of Junior Leaders. Participants learn to make positive choices and decisions.
• Change: Transitioning to C5 Leaders is critical for this group. Our 7th graders meet with C5 staff where they learn about the application process and the commitment required over the next five years.